Tech Tips

Rhinolining the Interior

This weekend with my friend Dennis we rhinolined the interior of my Wagoneer (just the rear cargo area and fender wells), his YJ (the whole interior) and his matching trailor.

We used a Canadian product called GatorGaurd II which consists of two parts.  Part A is the gooey black rubberized compound while part B is the catalyst. The kits comes with an air powered spray gun and canister to hold and spray the gunk.  

Heres how the process went.

The day before I pulled my old vinyl liner in the rear cargo area and took out the seat, seatbelts, side panels, and plastic cap that goes under the rear seat.  Vacuummed it all out and then ground out what rust patches I had.  Rust wasn't too bad but it was difficult to get it all.  I also removed all carpet and trim that I didn't want permanently fossilized to the interior.

The next day over Dennis's place I ground some more rust out, sanded all the paint to scuff it up, and then wiped down the whole deal with Xylene.  After checking to see if all the particles were out, we masked the interior of the car, all the exposed weather strip, windows and anthing else that might come in contact with over spray.  That took most of the time.

Then it was time to mix the two parts together, and brother, that was a very sticky job.  Wear gloves as this stuff adheres to anything and seems to get on everything.  Dennis did the spraying and he was decked out in full overalls and a painters filtermask.  It was a real treat trying to load the goo into the little spray bottle for the spray gun, which we did with a plastic coke cup because we didn't have a funnel.  Note to self for next time is to get a funnel!

The gun itself was a cheap Taiwan made hunkojunk, so Dennis added a regulator to the hose end to adjust spray.  The tube going in to the can was also too long to fit so we ground that down.  After loading up the gun he began to spray and it definatley goes on thick with lots of splatter. But it does go on quickly and thickly so doing the rear of my Wagoneer only took about ten minutes at most and probably used about a quart and a half of liner.  After your finished check carefully for missed or light spots; I found the raised parts of the floor didn't get covered too well and required a blast from another angle.

Also don't plan on moving your rig that day.  The stuff drys very slowly and requires 24 hours before nothing will adhere to it and 48 hours to fully cure.  I plan on picking it up today and will give the lowdown on how it looks and performs after curing.

Jamie